God's Grace in Time of Need.

 


As a substitute teacher, I need God's grace in my life, but sometimes when He gives it, I don't see it working as I like. An instance would be if I accepted a job assignment ahead of time, thinking I would have a good night sleep and I would be ready for the day. I could never go online and cancel it if something comes up, but I could call in sick or something (which I rarely do.) On the morning of the assignment, I go ready to face a class of precocious students who would like to test me to my limits. This is when I need his grace. I want God to step in and silence the lions. However, it doesn't happen. The Bible says that His strength is made perfect in weakness. Weakness is inability or powerlessness. I felt I had no power when it comes to these students. They are like the demons that haunts me in my dreams. When God gives us the authority, it seems as there is no power with it and they render me speechless. Perhaps the demons represents little children who challenge my authority.

A week ago, I subbed in a second grade class of my favorite teacher at a school. My first time I ever subbed in her class, the day went good in-spite of the few students who would test me. And so I thought the next year and year after that, would be no different. Nope. Thank God the teacher knows me and she is a Christian because she didn't fault me when I told her what happened. I felt like it was them against me. The majority of the class challenged my authority. When I told them they had to do all sides of the math worksheets, they insisted their teacher told them to do two sides. It was not written down in the plans. In fact, it was a messed up day--much like, but not as bad as the kindergarten class in a local school three years ago. They couldn't go to the library because the librarian was sick. I should have had them read a book on Epic instead. However, I gave them math to do and said it was a timed test. I don't know if I woke up tired or refreshed that day, but when I have days like that, I wonder if it's my last. This was when God's grace came in. Not with silencing the lions into submission but offering me his mercy when I  make mistakes and giving me another opportunity to work. I receive God's grace when he says "that's okay, Ruthie. You are still needed."

Another time God gives me grace is when I plan to wake up early and  dress in case they need  me to sub. I would either get called by the smartfind express system or I checked the website. When I felt I needed more sleep or I woke up not refresh, I know that God will give me the strength I need to face a classful of students. Yet the phone didn't ring and then I realized God had spared it me from possibly a difficult day for someone with an average of six and a half hours of sleep. Normally, I would get concerned because each day I don't work, less money I make, but I learn to trust God not my finances or the school district to provide for me, and it frees me from the worry. I know that God (not the government or anyone) shall supply ALL my needs according to the riches that are in Christ Jesus (not the education system).

What are times when you needed God's grace? Did you receive it? Share your experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living with Alzheimer

Hanford's Hidden Treasure