Life in the Old Testament

I have been reading Genesis since the beginning of the year and I have come to some conclusions. However, what I heard among friends, I have proven myself ignorant to what life is like in the Old Testament.  The Bible never speaks about what kind of  things Sarah, Rebekah and Rachel did. I know that they had to be submissive to their husbands (Read about Sarah In Peter 3) I also know they were home makers or domestic engineers, but did they make a living as their husbands did? Proverbs 31 is about  awoman who does a lot  for her family. She is a seamstress, bread maker , and she even  makes linen garments, but she does not work outside the home. If she is a teacher, she is only one for her children. I would say she is in two words: The household manager.
 I was only proven ignorant about that one  issue, but  not about the others. As I reflected on what I read so far, I have also noticed that the men  took care of livestock. I am sure they did other things, but Abraham, Isaac and Jacob all had livestock. This tell me that the land they lived in was an agricultural area. I am no expert  on these things, but just sharing my thoughts on the matter.  I mentioned that the women must be teachers for their childrens and it seems likely so since there were no schools in those times.  I began to think on my own life: I too live in  an agricultural area. Like unmarried women, I still live in my father's house. Not because I have no permission to leave it but I have no way of leaving it unless of course some man comes looking for me like the way Isaac's servant looked for a wife for his master. Hey! If God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow,  then why not someone search for me? I may not do all the things those women did, but I ecrtainly am not idle. I do grocery shopping,  I cook dinner, I wash dishes and I help my mom sometimes.  I am willig to become a household manager if that is what the Lord has for me provided that my  future husband is  a God fearing man who provides well for his family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living with Alzheimer

Hanford's Hidden Treasure