Volunteering

I went to the Bookbuddies meeting one last time  last Monday. It was not going well with me. I couldn't sit there anymore watching them sign up. It was never my desire to sit out on he sidelines. I wanted to be involved but there was too much "red tape" if you want to call it that.  Why couldn't they give me the application in January or December? I really think it was  working against me.  Back then, Natalie did not come out with the idea of having a  volunteer orientation. When I entered the library and approached the front desk, a man told me I have to call the children's librarian and so I did. He  never gave  me an application.   When I emailed her, she never responded by saying you may have to  go fill out an application and go through an interview process before you can come to the book buddies meeting. She responded by telling me when and what time it begins.
So my thought was: "All I have to do is come to the book buddies meetings. I could  volunteer after that!" I was very happy about that!
 Since I have never done it before, I agreed to shadow the other readers and there was no mention of the application or an interview at that point. I agreed thinking, I could volunteer to read to children the next month...

I do not like it that it gets pushed to the next month and to the next but that  is what it was looking like. When I arrived Saturday, after having to give up two hours of my time with my family so I can attend the orientation,  and fill out the application, I was HOPING, I would finally be able volunteer. Even though I originally hope it would be to children a little older than 4 years old, I was willing to  read to them. It did not turn out that way and my heart was crushed. The Librarian told me I  have to be interviewed first. Its fine to be interviewed if you are applying for a position that requires special skills or if you are getting paid for that position. I was not and I don't think it takes special skills to read to children.

Maybe the whole reason why  any doors wasn't opening for me  was because it was not the time and place for me to volunteer.  The Lord knows my heart and even though we are not suppose to wait for favorable conditions, I didn't.  It wasn't favorable. I do not like where I live. I lived here too long and my heart was in Washington State not in Hanford, California. I have never been accepted here, but I can tell you not one of my friends from a group I am in understand that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living with Alzheimer

Hanford's Hidden Treasure