Proofreading For Free

As a novice author, I still have a lot to learn, but I'm thankful for the friends and the advice of other authors and editors who had guided me on   this path called writing.

When I started out, I knew nothing but hiring editors and proofreaders--well, I did, but my thinking was "not everyone needs one" I was so sure that what I wrote was flawless that I didn't even bother looking for one. My  first book which was published by a unscrupulous publishing company, had mistakes and grammar errors all through out the book. I expected the company to edit my work since I was only getting a very small percentage for royalty. Not so.

I went Indie after that and my dream to have a well known publisher accept my submission and publish my book slowly dwindled away. I have found that the only way  my books ca be published if I use a platform called CreateSpace.com.

Yet I still couldn't afford an editor. Being unemployed, I was lost as to what to do. I had no finances to dish out cash to professionals but the Lord in his mercy led me to some individuals who was willing to help, including the cost of having my covers designed.

Now that I know a little more, I have become more confident at writing my stories. I have found that I needed more help in showing. (Perhaps that is why my books weren't selling). I made some investments in downloading books that  would help me craft my writing. I feel that I am on my way.

I want to begin a new path: Proofreading. Proofreading is catching any mistakes the editor had missed. (My understanding), but how do I begin? I have no experience whatsoever and I am only beginning. I have the recommended books on proofreading and I'll study them both. I will even proofread my own work

Why do I want to proofread? I have learned a secret in an editing circle I am in: You can barter! Since there is no way I can  pay for an editor every time I have a MS for someone to edit. I once asked an editor (who is more like a copy editor) who work on my MS for me, but the payments I made took too much out of me! I just didn't think I can handle it! And I had another editor wh got bogged down with the health issues of her daughter that I've given up and given my third and fourth MS to a publisher who assigned my friend to editing the same MS she edited for me before. However, I am somewhat disappointed.  My CIA friends are right--Self publishing is better but I still have that dream (even if  it is just small fragment)

So here is what I will do to gain experience. I am willing to proofread for free for a limited time. All that is required is that your MS be clean.  No erotica and no foul language.

If you want a proofreader, email me at UniquelyHis67@gmail.com. Tell me about  your work and what genre it is. If I accept, you will receive a message from me asking for your MS. In this way we will help each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living with Alzheimer

Hanford's Hidden Treasure