When Dreams are Dashed

Many years ago, I never thought I would become an author. Sure, I love to write, but my writings were for me as an escape. I write as I want and not what others want, but I had no idea I would be called to write. I started dreaming. I have always wanted to have Bethany House or other well known publishers to publish my work, but those dreams crumbled because I  was unknown. Most publishers only accept submissions from well known authors like Michael Hyatt or Ted Dekker.  And when I found a publisher I found out too late they were scam. I had to pay a high price to get my rights back. When you sign a contract, you give them your rights. They hire and editor and a cover designer, formatter, etc to do all the work. You don't have to pay a dime. The only downfall is you won't get much royalty either (Well that's my experience Im sure publishers are fair)

After I had Marge published, I rewrote it. I was on my own and still knew very little. I hired a copy editor who to edit Marge and a friend to proofread. I did my own cover which wasn't very good. But what could I do? I had no money to hire a designer. It was until later that an author friend gave me a cover for my book and A Second Chance At Love was published.

After my second experience with a publisher, I decided I would stay indie and trust the Lord to provide me the finances I need to hire an editor for each work. I was blessed to have friends who can edit and don't charge me an arm and a leg, but even the two books they helped me with still needed help.  And they got it.

I found that I prefer to be an indie author. I get the full 70% or %35. I can promote my own books. When I was with a publisher I expected her to do it, but she never did. She  even picked a cover that some thought my book was erotic. I still have the dream, but this time I am hoping I will have a best seller that will get an agent or  a publisher's attention. I still have to do all the work, but at least the Lord has provided an outlet for me to earn money so I can pay editors, proofreaders etc. In fact, I do my own covers now that I know how to design them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living with Alzheimer

Hanford's Hidden Treasure