My Hysterectomy Experiences

I normally write about life as an author and the ups and down of it, but seeing that other people have written their medical experiences why not me?

 On May 9, 2013, my doctor gave me the results to the ultrasound. I have a fibroid tumor in my uterus. To me this was bad news and good news. The bad news is I will have to have surgery. The good news is I won't  be sticking out anymore. (My doctor told me I looked to be 7 months pregnant and later that the tumor was a size of a basketball)

My surgery was scheduled to be on July 10. I was told that I would have to have a hysterectomy because of the size of the tumor. Hysterectomy was something I did not want, but the Lord gave me hope that I can still have children. He can recreate a new uterus in me.

After going through pre-op and have my lab work done, it was time to leave for hospital. I wasn't nervous because I trusted God.  As I waited in the surgical waiting room, I saw a picture that I have seen a few times on Facebook. It was of Jesus guiding the doctor's hands in the operating room. This was needed because it assured me that whether experienced doctors or student doctors, my surgery will be  a success. It was!

After meeting the people involved in pre-op, I had to wait a long time for my doctor to arrive. He thought my surgery was at 3:30. They called him and he came. In no time, I was rushed into OR. I do not remember much, but I do remember being moved to the OR table and the next thing I know I was waking up out of the Anesthesia and being in pain. It was done. Most people ask, "Is it over?"  I asked, "How did it go?"
I was still pretty much groggy from the anesthesia and I felt nauseated.  I thought "Oh no!" because if I heave, the staples would come out. After letting gas come out one way, it happened--I heaved. It was not over. I try to eat (it was mostly liquid) but my body rejected it. My friend was there to see it. As it turned out, my heaving caused me to bleed through the bandages.

I slept somewhat okay that night. IT was hard staying asleep and it was light, but I figured I could make  up for it the next day.
When I needed assistance, I called for it but they didn't come right away. It seemed like they never came. I had to do things at my own risk like taking off the circulator on my leg so I can relieve myself. But one thing or two that brightens up my day is seeing my doctor coming to check up on me and one of the CNAs coming to take my vitals. If I didn't get any visitors, they would make up for it.

I continued to be in pain but the nurse would give me my medication which helped some. I slept better the next night and was released Friday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living with Alzheimer

Hanford's Hidden Treasure